I was telling people I’d link them to a lot of cosplay help things over the weekend, but I forgot who for what and everything. So I’m just going to make a big post with all of the tutorials that I reference a lot/just think are very informative in general.
DESIGNS ON FABRIC
GENERAL COSTUME STUFF
- Centered zippers
- Easy stretchy gloves
- Torn edges on fabric
- Patterning sleeves
- Easy thigh high boots
- Easy binder
- Circle skirts
- Model Magic armor
- Craft foam armor
- Casting resin jewels
- Flexible jewelry (it me)
- Foam board weapons
- More craft foam armor
blasting the lotr soundtrack to drown out the sound of my suitemates doing it and how is everyone else’s friday night going
Have you ever looked back at your life and realized that you legitimately dealt with depression but tried to normalize it by assuming you were just lazy or antisocial?
Welcome to the cosplay community! :D I really hope you’ll end up enjoying yourself and having a good time with this hobby. :)
I’m going to use your ask to make a “Wig Masterpost” since we get this question a lot! :D
- There are lots of different kinds of wigs including wigs made from animal hair, human hair, and synthetic fibers. 99% of cosplay wigs are some type of synthetic fiber mainly because of cost and the more “anime” look that they can give.
- Synthetic wigs are usually made out of some specific type of plastic fiber: Kanekalon, Tokyokalon, Hiperlon, etc. Some of these fibers will be able to resist heat, while some will melt. Make sure you know which one you have before using a curling iron or blow dryer on your wig!
- You can buy human hair wigs at local beauty stores (look up stores in your area. :) ), some of these stores will carry synthetic wigs as well, but likely only in “natural” colors and styles. If you need something a little bit more “out there” then you will need to turn to stores/websites that cater to those type of wigs!
- A lot of wigs come from Asia (china/japan/hong kong.) These are usually pretty good quality, depending on where you buy, but are made for smallish heads. I would recommend buying a cheap-ish wig from an overseas seller way before your event in order to make sure it will fit your head correctly. Lindsay can wear asian-made wigs easily, but with my head size and the thickness/length of my hair, they don’t fit on my head at all. :) Be aware!
- There are a few American-based wig shops that have larger head areas and are nice quality. The issue with these is they can be TOO big. Luckily, they can be sized down if necessary (See Envel Cosplay’s tutorial.)
All in all, there are a LOT of choices out there for cosplay wigs!
"How can I be sure they will be good quality?"
This part is easy! The best way to be sure a wig will be good quality is to buy it from a TRUSTED RETAILER! :)
Wig Shop Trusted List
Big Wig Cap Size:
- Arda Wigs (Go to for a lot of cosplayers, big caps, natural looking fibers, heat resistant, lots of interesting styles (lace front, pony tail, twintail, etc.)
- Epic Cosplay (My favorite. Doesn’t get tangled, big caps, a lot of styles and colors, free shipping.)
- Five Wits (Very similar to Arda, in my opinion, quality wise. really nice mixed colors, big cap. Website pictures are not great, but the wigs are.)
Other US-Based Wig Stores:
- AnimeStuffStore (EBAY) (Nice wigs, choose the “mixed” colors for a more natural look, fast shipping and cheaper prices than some other US stores)
- Dolluxe (AKA Gothic Lolita Wigs/Cosplay Wigs USA) (Just redid their site. Less options than some other stores but very nice quality wigs.)
- Amphigory (A lot of different options from some other stores - has been around for a long time and is very trusted for good quality wigs)
Other “Store-front” Stores:
- Match Wigs (Based in Singapore I think, nice wigs, nice prices, free shipping, often does giveaways for gift certificates on tumblr)
- CosCraft (Based in UK, nice wigs, also sells worbla and other cos-supplies!)
- MoeMall (EBAY) (Based in China and Australia, a lot of great character-specific wigs)
- Lucaille (Based in china, lots of character-specific wigs)
A lot of people also buy on TaoBao (Chinese eBay basically.) The wigs on TaoBao are cheap, but you will need a proxy to order them. This can be a bit of a hassle, but might be worth it if you plan on ordering a lot of wigs. Here are a few things that might help ordering wigs off of Taobao (Wig List/What is Taobao, TaoBao Stores List, TaoBao Buying Guide/Store List)
I hope all of this helped you Skkon!!! :D
I hope you’ll send me pictures of your cosplay once you get started! :)
WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!!!
<3 Emi of L2S Cosplay
P.S. Feel free to send me any other questions you have! <3
P.P.S. Followers, feel free to send me other wig store recommendations. :) I don’t buy wigs on ebay so I only know a few stores!
Because the newest fashion for the elves is running around in their jammies. It is super time effective! No changing in the morning, just run straight out there and get treated like shit by the humans!
WHOSOEVER HOLDS THIS HAMMER, IF SHE BE WORTHY, SHALL POSSESS THE POWER OF THOR.
ACTUAL GODDESS NATASHA ROMANOV
I always knew she was one :D
As is so often true of comics, a lot of the awesome is in the details. Natasha can’t move the Hammer when she first reaches it. What makes her worthy at the end when she apparently wasn’t worthy just seconds before? Look at panels 2-3 again. Natasha’s got that big ogre right on top of her with his club already going back to strike … and instead of shooting it to save herself, she uses her last shot to bring down the flying reptile that’s chasing that fleeing shuttle. That act of self-sacrifice in the face of certain death is what made her worthy.
So ruffles! They’re really simple and basic, but the way I learned to make them is so exhausting. What way is that? Well stitching with the longest stitch setting on my machine and pulling at the bottom thread to gather the fabric and pray the thread doesn’t break. But working in the costume shop has taught me a great and painless way to gather fabric for ruffles and I just have to share the revelation.
So supplies you’ll need:
- Machine obviously
- Thread color of your fabric
- Your fabric
- Button and cord thread, easier if a different color (VERY IMPORTANT CANNOT SKIMP OUT AND USE NORMAL THREAD BECAUSE YOU RUN THE RISK OF IT BREAKING)
wait like where in origins does it say cailan has a ton of mistresses/illegitimate children??? people arguing over anora’s unfounded infertility bringing that up and i’m like uhhh i played through return to ostagar but did i miss something that wasn’t the empress letters and i’m fairly certain he didn’t fuck her from halfway across the mapped continent??